Traveling to Canada during the COVID Pandemic
From United States on
View Current Restrictions
I went to visit my brother who lives in Toronto after 2.5 years! I was only there for a few days, but it was so great to see family and take an international trip.
- How did you enter the country?
- Did you have to show proof of vaccination while visiting the country? For example, when going in and out of tourist attractions, restaurants, etc.
- Yes, I had to show proof of vaccination when indoor dining.
- Was this destination crowded with visitors or empty?
- It was starting to get crowded again. The trains were not at full capacity during rush hour, but there were a lot of people on it.
- How did you enter this country? (ie land, sea, flight) Are there any specific restrictions or regulations when entering via those means?
- I entered by flight. I had to show proof of vaccination (in order to avoid the quarantine), and proof of a negative PCR or other molecular COVID-19 test taken in the last 72 hours.
- Did you need to wear a mask inside restaurants, attractions, or public transportation? If you were able to choose, did you feel comfortable wearing or not wearing a mask?
- Masks were required to enter public buildings and restaurants. Once you were seated, then you could remove your mask.
- If needed, were COVID tests easy to find and book? (Especially before your return or onward flight)
- I was able to take both tests within the United States because I was in Canada for less than 72 hours. I heard that it was a bit more difficult and expensive to find a testing site in Canada.
- Did the country adapt physical distancing in day-to-day situations? How did you experience this as a traveler?
- There were signs on the floor at many locations. I did not notice much physical distancing in the airports.
- Did restaurants, businesses, and public services take sanitary precautions that you noticed?
- Yes, many were more spaced out or had physical barriers between tables.
- Did the local government ask for travel or health insurance when you arrived?
- Tell us about your experience when entering the country. Were there any challenges with customs, immigration, or the health authorities related to COVID?
- I just had to fill out the ArriveCAN form where you upload your travel details, vaccination information, COVID-19 test results, and address for quarantine (if needed) within 72 hours of departure.
- Were there additional requirements to travel around the country? For example, did you need to take a COVID test to go from one state/province to the other?
- I don't believe so.
- Were most attractions open? Were you able to visit the ones you wanted to attend?
- I believe most attractions are open, especially those that are outdoors.
- Anything else fellow travelers should know about your trip?
- It was great to be abroad and to see family, even if it was for such a short time! Can't wait for more international trips soon.