Traveling to Iceland during the COVID Pandemic
From United States on
View Current Restrictions
Iceland actually sparked the first conversation I ever had with Jacob, so we decided to celebrate our 8th anniversary in the country that started it all!
- How did you enter the country?
- Any difficulties with your vaccination card when entering the destination?
- None at all! They were really great in Iceland.
- Did your children need to be vaccinated before arriving? If so, which ages? Also, did they need to wear a mask?
- We have a 4 and 6 year old and neither of them had to be vaccinated to travel to Iceland. We did get our 6-year-old tested in advance and they accepted the rapid test for her. They didn't require any COVID testing for our 4-year-old.
- Was your COVID test result accepted?
- Yes, they were. You can take a rapid test if you're vaccinated, but a PCR test is required if you're not vaccinated.
- Did the local government ask for travel or health insurance when you arrived?
- They did not.
- Did you experience any challenges with customs, immigration, or the health authorities related to COVID?
- Nope. They looked at our documents and on we went!
- If needed, were COVID tests easy to find and book at your destination?
- There are only two places in Iceland that offer a COVID test, but it was super easy to schedule the test and get in and out.
- Did you have any difficulties with testing or receiving your results on time?
- We were all allowed to take a rapid test and had our results within an hour or so.
- Was this destination abnormally crowded or empty?
- It seemed normal, but there were not many people traveling with kids.
- Did you have to show proof of vaccination on location? For example, when entering restaurants, shops, events, etc.?
- Nope. We were never asked again and most places didn't require you to even wear a mask.
- Were you required to wear a mask inside restaurants, event spaces, or public transportation? If you were able to choose, did you feel comfortable wearing or not wearing a mask?
- We only wore a mask when we took a ferry ride to another island. If you were eating at restaurants, you didn't have to wear it.
- Did the destination adapt physical distancing in day-to-day situations?
- Most everything we did was outside, but it was never mentioned anywhere when we were inside.
- Did restaurants, businesses, and public services take COVID-related sanitary precautions that you noticed?
- Yes, most employees wore masks and they were always cleaning.
- Were there additional requirements to travel within the region?
- Not that I'm aware of. We had a great experience, and even with traveling with kids!
- Were most attractions open? Were you able to visit the ones you wanted to attend?
- Yep! Everything we wanted to see was open. Even the aquarium on the small island; which we were afraid it wouldn't be since it's so small.
- Anything you found to be noteworthy about your trip related to traveling with additional restrictions and policies?
- The rapid tests in Iceland go all the way back in the nose, so that was a little unpleasant for our kids.